Thursday 14 April 2011

My Top Ten Gaming Moments

Over the course of my gaming life, there have been so many moments playing games that always seem to stand out. It might be the visuals, the soundtrack, anything really. When I first started thinking of this I wanted to do a countdown, with number 1 being my all time favourite moment. But its just too damn hard! There's so many! So Ive compiled a list of ten of my favourites. Ive put them in order, but that's more just for presentation than anything.
Do you have any favourite moments? Are any of yours in this list?

Anyway, enough of me going on, lets get on with it!




Ive got that achievement :D


Number 10: GODS intro

Back in my youth, my elder brother had an Amiga 500 (google it folks). When he left the house I would sneak into his room and play his games to my hearts content.
The reason Ive chosen this game is because it was the first game I would play, always. The reason? Simply put, the bad ass intro! The excitement when this screen came on used to pour out of me, it still brings back lots of happy memories to this day. The game itself was great fun, but many times I would reboot it to hear the intro again.
Here it is for your viewing pleasure:







Number 9: Resident Evil: First encounter with zombie dogs!




My first experience of a 'horror' game, I was young and impressionable (I probably still am!)
But this particular part of the game, always stands out. Mainly because it scared the crap out of me. Its quiet, atmospheric, then all of a sudden SMASH! and these rabid little shitzus are on your ass with a serious case of the zombie horn, the first time a game has ever made me jump and a game I will always remember. So it made the cut.





Number 8: Cannon Fodder: Intro and getting Jools past level 8



Another Amiga great, and easily found on the net to download. Cannon Fodder is a cracking little point and click game that's wonderfully simplistic and bloody tricky too! It has a subtle dark humour. Play it guys, I highly recommend it!
If you've not played it, you start the first mission with 3 characters. One of those being Jools.
If they die, you start the next mission with new characters, so on and so on.
For some reason, I used to make it my mission to get these originals as far as I could before their eventual Death. On this particular game, I had lost the other two by mission 5, Jools remained, I wanted to keep it that way. It was tough, dangerous and took forever, but I got there! I was at last on mission nine, until my highly decorated veteran of war decided to get killed by a stray bit of exploding barrel. I was distraught, the first time I had ever grown attached to a character.
The intro is a classic. The song is written and performed by the games developer Jon Hare




Number 7: My first Fatality on Mortal Kombat



I was never really good at this game, I tried, tried, tried again and normally failed to climb the ladder of enemies. But one day, I was on fire, the button mashing was frantic, my enemies fell one by one and then I heard those words ''FINISH HIM'' once more. I mashed the pad in some random combination. There Sub Zero stood, my bad ass character looking cool as anything while my foe swayed like a drunken Muppet on some reality TV Police programme. Suddenly, Sub Zero reached inside my foes throat and decided to rip out his skull and spine in one go. I heard the words ''FATALITY'' ring in my ears. I did it, sussed, finally. I was ecstatic, I couldn't believe I'd done it. Was I finally going to climb to the top? My joy was only short lived as the next opponent fancied a scrap. No problem thought I, until I had my arse handed to me.


Number 6: My First Online Multi player Experience




OK I don't mind admitting it. I was quite late to the world of online gaming, I didn't really see the hype. But never the less, I took a dive and tried it. OH EM GEE. I couldn't believe what was happening, I was running around, shooting people, they were shooting back, but I was in England, they were overseas, some kind of witchcraft surely?!? It was smooth, everything happened instantly. I was in awe, and hooked.
I was playing Activision's demon love child, Call Of Duty, and I bloody loved it.
I haven't looked back since. I am hooked on online gaming, don't get me wrong, I want a good solid single player from my games. But Ill be more tempted to buy it if it has multi player.



Number 5: Completing Metal Gear Solid 3




What a journey this game took me through, with awesome visuals, a cracking story line, and game play that bettered most other games out at that time (and most that come out today), I was in love with this game.
The problem is, I was gutted when it finished, it left me hungry for more, so I played it again. Quite a few times actually. The closing scenes of this game were beautiful, emotional and very satisfying.
A fantastic game all round, and one I will always remember.


Number 4: Red Dead Redemption: Conclusion and ending.





First of all, what I mean by conclusion is the part after you have killed your final target, and you have nothing left to do other than ride your horse back to your ranch. Everything is tranquil, the song is the background very fitting and its a long journey, Just like the one you have played. It gives time for you to reflect on the story, with this character with whom you have got to know, now its over, or so you think! Then you get to fulfill your characters dreams, to live on the farm and lead a normal life, something you normally don't get in a game, how strange thought I, but its all good, this character can now leave a happy ending, whoopee!!!

But no, then the real ending comes along and your beloved John Marston ends up getting turned into a pepper pot. The shock twist, and emotion involved made it a great ending.
The underlying morals shining through didn't put me off at all. It was great, I was shocked and saddened. Especially considering I wound up playing his high pitched whiny bastard child to carry on the side missions.



Number 3: Call Of Duty 4: All Ghillied Up




I know what your thinking,
''AAAARRRGGGHHHH My eyes! Cod be gone, evil one!''
But well, tough.

This was my first intro to the XBOX 360 (at a friends house), and to be honest the visuals simply amazed me. From the moment your sniping buddy merges out of the tall grass this level captivated me. The visuals, the sneaking around, the suspense when the enemy walks right past you, watching this take place in front of me left me stunned. I couldn't believe how good it looked, sounded and played.
I walked from his house thinking one thing 'I need a 'next gen' console'


Number 2: Mass Effect 2






Yes that's right, the whole damn thing and a very recent addition to my memories.
After a very sound recommendation from a fellow gamerdad, I took the plunge and gave it a shot.
Now RPG's are really not my thing, the sword fights, the magic powers etc etc I just didn't get them. But this, wow.
Everything about this game I loved. The visuals, the game play, the story. I played out a film, and I loved every single minute of it. I was gutted when it ended and immediately started it again. From the opening scenes I was captivated, I was constantly excited about what was to come. It opened my eyes to a whole new genre and a whole new gaming experience. Mass Effect, you have a brand new fanboy right here, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.


Number 1: COD 4: Mile High Club on Veteran




I know its CoD again!!! I'm sorry!

Well no actually I'm not, As I said at the start, I didn't order them in any particular way, its just turned out this way.
Why is this such a good memory?
Well to start with, it was so damned difficult to do! But my god was it addictive, something so simple, so short but yet so god damned good! I lusted after that achievement, I needed it, and when I got it? Not even the wife's moaning could bring me down. My first real taste of the achievement bug, it didn't last for long mind, but that's a different subject entirely.
I was new to xbox, to achievements, and to cod. Addictive beyond belief for something so simple. It reminded me of older games, when all you had was yourself and a scoreboard to beat. Perhaps that's why I liked it so much?



And that's it guys. I hope you enjoyed reading my musings. If you didn't, well then tell me why :D

No comments:

Post a Comment